Who runs the world? Girls.

Monday, May 20, 2013


So I have this theory.

And it could definitely be my feminism talking, but I’m pretty sure my inkling could be proven correct.

One thing I mentally prepared myself for before coming here were the harsh gender roles that much of Africa is still held by. Think of 1950’s (I’m bad with history, forgive me if that’s wrong), totally separate spheres for men and women, really harsh type of deal. That’s the present culture here, and I often have to bite my tongue in many situations. Women are definitely confined to the home, must obey their husbands (they can’t even eat if their husband isn’t home), have to kneel on the ground if being introduced to a man and sometimes just even talking to a man, have to ride side saddle on bikes, are made to wear skirts, and more.
Yet, with these strict roles, the only people who I have met here who really have their stuff together (minus a few rare exceptions) have been women.

The administrators who run successful businesses? Women. The people who run successful non-profit agencies? Women. The families that are proven successful despite their odds? Run by women.

I’m telling you, women seriously run this place yet are given half the respect and power that men are. Even though the men are the ones making all the terrible mistakes and causing problems (sorry men).

I am hopeful that over time, a very long period of time, that women will start gaining status and the lines will become less defined. People even say the women who are educated are the ones who wear jeans because they know they don’t have to abide by those gendered rules.

But, if this power difference was resolved even sooner, I really think the conditions of this country would improve drastically. The women here have to work so much harder to get to where they are, therefore (in my opinion) their work has proven to be ten times better.

If you let these women have more control and more power, this country would be in an entirely different state—for the better.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely analysis of all the current conversations about the power of women. I know when I was introduced to the very real realities...I felt closer to my spirit and womanliness. ;) Keep up the good work! Love you! Miss you!

Post a Comment